Saturday, July 14, 2007

Classroom 2.0 badge

Just noticed the option of adding a classroom 2.0 badge to my blog. There are various useful badges to choose from, however there was no doubt in my mind as to which badge I was going to add.

Not the classroom 2.0 media player which streams videos that have been added to classroom 2.0 - a cool way to add a video widget containing video previewed and recommended by educators.

Definitely Not the stylish music player.

Not the cool photo player displaying a selection of my photos

Not even the Classroom 2.0 profile badge that I can "Wear with Pride" on my website or MySpace page.

Oh no, being loyal to the cause I chose to "Spread the word!" and "Get a Classroom 2.0, dynamically updating with the networks most popular members." badge!

Woohoo, finally for the first time in my life, my pic was there among the most popular members! How did this happen? Well either the badge is coded to include the profile picture from the page that calls it, which is a high probability. Or it is simply that I accept nearly every friendship invitation sent me, and Classroom 2.0 members are very generous at sending friendship invitations. Why not? What is a network friend anyway? Indeed, what is a friend? Never having had many friends, I thought I'd look the word up. Most of the results were similar, here is the definition from the "American Heritage Dictionary"

Friend:
A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts. (doesn't quite fit the bill)
A person whom one knows; an acquaintance. (nope..I don't know anyone there, really.)
Friend A member of the Society of Friends; a Quaker. (that must be it!)

These next two feel close to home:
A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.

One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement
: friends of the clean air movement. strike the last bit I smoke 60 a day, but putting the example aside, the definition does seem to describe what is going on at Classroom 2.0. A group of educators, allied in the cause of moving education forward to better prepare their students for the real life that awaits them when they finish school. So that's what a friend is, why don't we just all add each other automatically? I have to say that as a newbie it was very encouraging to be welcomed that way into the community.

Of course there is possibly another reason I am so friendly - my mother's maiden name was..that's right, Friend :-)

Wouldn't you just know it? After that spiel, blogger won't accept the badge code, in the post window, will have to add it as a side widget instead. The things I am willing to do for the cause....

No comments:

Hebrew Reference Search Engine for K6

the audacity of it

Voice Conference

MeeboMe

MyChingo